Hannah greets me "mornin' mama", before I even turn on the light in her room. She knows its me and she knows I'm going to say, or sing, "good morning" to her. It's cute and it never bothered me that she dropped the "good." But now I'm thinking I might need to insist on that "good."
This morning I woke up early, before the kids. QJ slept all night (praise God!) and I was so uncomfortable, I had to get up and pump. I should have just stayed up, but I got back in bed. When I finally fell back to sleep, I dreamed that Quarter and I were driving down a road under construction. There were orange cones everywhere. And it was dark. Even though it was daytime.
I slept until the very last minute. The kids were both up, so I had to hit the ground running. This is my least favorite way to start the day. When they both wake up at the same time, I try to address the greatest need first. I got Hannah's cup of milk, her on the potty and changed out of her pull-up into her big girl panties. Then I got QJ's diaper changed and started nursing him. So far so good. And then things started to take a turn. Hannah started to whine, because she wanted me to put her in QJ's bed. I told her she'd have to wait until I finished feeding him, but she continued to whine. I let her watch a video on my phone, but she only turned it up a notch. When she dropped my phone on the floor, she was in trouble. I told her to go to her room. She left and took a moment to cry in the hall. And then she went to her playroom. A few minutes later, she calls out "potty mama." I told her to come to me, but she continued to just call out. By the time I got to her it was too late. She wobbled to the bathroom and I discovered it wasn't just a number one, it was a number two. Great. While holding QJ, I managed to get her clothes down and her on the potty. She started to whine, because she wanted her NooNoo (lovey) that she left on the floor by the potty. For some reason, she decides to reach through her pants to get it. Through the number two mess in her pants. I catch her hand a moment too late. She seemed unfazed by the coating on her hand. She continued to reach for her WHITE NooNoo. This time I caught her hand. Still holding QJ, because there was no time to find a suitable place to sit him, I managed to wipe her hand off. As we struggled for control of her hand, I realized this hand has the thumb that she sucks for comfort. I really couldn't let it go. Still holding QJ and siting on the floor next to the potty, I managed to grab soap and a washcloth and wash her hand. Once the hand was clean, I ran and grabbed the boppy pillow to sit QJ in. I ran Hannah's bath and got her all cleaned up.
As she was sitting in the tub and I was rising off her clothes, cleaning the potty, the sink and my hands, I was grateful that when I need an extra measure of patience, God always provides it. So even though Hannah cried and cried causing QJ to join in, I continued at the task before me. As soon as I could, I got them both in chairs they can't easily escape from, and I had a cup of coffee. And since food is my drug of choice, other than coffee, I wished I had a donut.
It's still early and the craziness is already a distant memory for these sweet kids. Oh I should mention, I'm the only one who hasn't been fighting off cold symptoms. So I'm really not upset about this episode. I told Quarter about it and he admitted he was irritated like he was the one who had to clean up poop. Lol.
I said it could be worse and that the day could only get better. Then I realized that doesn't make sense. If it could be worse, the day doesn't have to get better. Good thing it's still early, because I need to come up with a new mantra to get me through the day.
I've moved!
-
When I started this blog I spent all this time figuring out what to call
it. I settled on "and a mom" because - at the time - I didn't want to be
JUST a mo...
12 years ago


0 comments:
Post a Comment